The Reading Room is open to all Willamette University staff, faculty, and students, as well as members of the public who agree to our regulations for use. No appointment is required, but visitors are encouraged to verify University Archives and Special Collections' hours before traveling to campus. If the Hatfield Library is closed, the University Archives are also closed.
Current hours and any known upcoming closures are also posted in the Reading Room.
- Researchers must sign the registration book once daily during each return research visit.
- The following items are not allowed in the Reading Room: food, beverages, ink pens, and indelible or “copying” pencils. Pencils and loose paper are available for note-taking.
- Cases, bags, backpacks, purses, and coats are required to be stored in the locker storage area.
- With permission of the staff, researchers may bring materials for reference into the Reading Room. We reserve the right to search any notes or belongings.
- Mobile phones are allowed if the phone is placed on vibrate and if the researcher agrees to leave the Reading Room to answer or place a call.
- As a courtesy to other researchers, please refrain from loud conversations or music.
- All our materials are non-circulating and may not be removed from the Reading Room.
- Requests for reproductions of items in the collections should be directed to the University Archivist. Some materials cannot be copied due to condition or other restrictions. The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.
- No items will be retrieved half an hour before closing.