Reading Room Regulations
The Reading Room is open to all Willamette University staff, faculty, and students, as well as members of the public who agree to our regulations for use. No appointment is required, but visitors are encouraged to verify University Archives and Special Collections' hours before traveling to campus.
Current hours and any known upcoming closures are also posted in the Reading Room.
- Researchers must sign the registration book once daily during each research visit
- The following items are not allowed in the Reading Room: cases, bags, backpacks, purses, coats, food, beverages, tobacco, cameras, ink pens, indelible or “copying” pencils, and notebooks. Pencils and 8.5" x 11.5" loose paper are provided for note-taking.
- With permission of the staff, researchers may bring materials for reference into the reading room. We reserve the right to search any notes or belongings.
- Laptops are permitted, but cases must be stored in the designated area.
- Mobile phones are allowed if the phone is placed on vibrate and if the researcher agrees to leave the reading room to answer or place a call.
- The use of any digital cameras (including camera phones) and scanners is not permitted.
- Portable media players (e.g., iPods) are allowed as long as the ambient sound is not distracting to other researchers or staff.
- As a courtesy to other researchers, please refrain from loud conversations.
- All our materials are non-circulating and may not be removed from the reading room without staff authorization.
- Requests for reproductions of items in the collections should be directed to the University Archivist. Some materials cannot be copied due to condition or other restrictions. The researcher assumes full responsibility for conforming to copyright, literary property rights, and libel laws.
- No items will be retrieved half an hour before closing.